Friday, May 14, 2010

The Benefit of Management

So, a little practical talk today. When I first began writing screenplays, my only thought was how to make a good movie. As I grew, I learned more about the craft of screenwriting and the mechanics of structure, how to make scenes use tension of some sort to propel the action... all the things that make a good script, well, good. What I quickly realized is the difficulty of getting a script you are happy with into the hands of people who can actually make the movie, which is a whole different set of hurdles.

I got lucky with my first produced film, a movie made for very little money, but Elle was received well, and the director wanted to make a second film with me on the script. That's both flattering and potentially profitable for all involved. But, since our first film was behind us, it was time to bring a more professional air to the proceedings and contract discussions have begun. And here is the second arena in which I count myself lucky. I have a management team behind me. It gave me the option of sending the contract to them, a gig that they did not procure, but I'm happy to give them their cut. Why? Because they have the resources and expertise to ensure that the project is a WGA signatory film and that both I and the director have a clear understanding of pay, payment schedule and any penalties levied if I am not compensated appropriately. "You give your first script away," one of my managers said. "Not your second."

There's the vicious Catch-22 of most agents and managers, in that you can't get representation without something produced and you can't get anything produced without representation. Fortunately, the company I signed with was new and willing to take a shot with me. Several rewrites of a script they liked later, and I'm a better writer for the experience. I don't know how common it is to find a team of people who get your work and do everything they can to make it better so we can sell it and all become rich beyond our imaginings. or, at the very least, make a living doing what I love... making movies. No matter, I count myself lucky.

At the end of the day, I value their input and appreciate their services. I can't recommend enough finding someone within the industry to give you pointers and help you with legal matters. There are plenty of hazards in navigating the waters of the film business. It's a whole lot easier with a crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment